Monday, June 2, 2008

DVM Graduation-May 25, 2008

Hello folks!

Welcome to my blog. It is my hope that this format for communication will allow me to easily share my experiences with you all during my year-long veterinary internship in Los Olivos, CA.

I recently graduated from Cornell University's School of Veterinary Medicine--so I'm officially a DVM! My parents drove out to see the Commencement/Hooding ceremonies, which took place May 25-26. All the vet students processed to the football stadium (along with all the other graduating students from the University) waving inflated rectal sleeves (a funny tradition that makes for great photo opportunities). We are a strange and energetic bunch.

After the festivities, a two-day packing marathon began. It was an absolutely awful, but unavoidable experience. Thank goodness for my parents and my boyfriend, Joe. Without their help, I would still be knee-deep in coveralls and scrubs. When all was said and done, we departed with two cars stuffed to the gills with clothing, picture frames, riding apparel, and lots of kitchen supplies.

A brief stop back in Madison allowed me to see some childhood friends who live or are in grad school in Madison. Tuesday June 3rd my mom and I will leave Madison, driving towards Santa Barbara, CA.

I'll be spending one year in southern California for an internship in equine private practice. There will be a total of 5 interns working at the large, horse-only vet hospital. Many of my classmates chose to take associate positions in private practice, foregoing the internship experience. Myself and 13 other equine-interested Cornell graduates will pursue internships in equine private practice. We will take a pay cut for the honor of working long hours in a busy practice. The hope is that the experience and mentorship gained will better prepare us to go out and practice on our own or to apply for residency programs. After this year, I will most likely join a private practice, in an as yet undetermined location. The million-dollar question you should ask me next June is: Was the pay-cut worthwhile?

Joe and I will be cycling for 4 days (June 11-14) from Monterey, CA heading south along the coast. Then, June 16th, my life as an intern begins...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The hooding ceremony pic is priceless... You and the dean look poised to break into a show-stopping team penguin dance!

Deen said...

Hi Ashley! Gread page and pics. Have a great time in CA! Love, Deen

Deen said...

OOOPPPSSS!!! "Great" page and pics...

Unknown said...

Hi Ashley! We enjoyed seeing your pictures and we miss you. Hope you are having a good time in California! Love, Ahrayna and Cecilia